Trucks transporting cargo keep cities stocked with essentials and goods. These vital systems run constantly. Truck drivers bring in hauls from all over the country and could cross state lines multiple times a day. While this system is important to getting cargo where it needs to go, negligent truck drivers can make the roads dangerous. If they’re not paying attention or if there is something wrong with the rig, they could lose control and cause a devastating accident. Have you or a loved one suffered serious injuries and losses following an accident with a large commercial truck? A Las Cruces, NM truck accident lawyer from Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm can help.
We’re dedicated to helping truck accident victims and their families get the legal support they need so they can recover. It’s not fair for the full costs of the injuries and losses to fall on you. With our truck accident attorneys on your side, you can depend on us to always fight for your rights.
Identifying Who Was Responsible for the Accident
When our lawyers are representing you, we’ll investigate who caused your injuries and losses. There are a few possible parties that may be at fault and they don’t necessarily have to be in the accident itself. Our lawyers will into the following parties:
- Truck Company. The truck company may have failed to maintain their vehicles and check for safety. They could have put an unsafe truck on the road, put too much cargo in the truck, or had negligent hiring practices and didn’t hire drivers who could operate a commercial truck. If they have a history of accidents, our lawyers will find out.
- Truck Driver. The driver could have exhibited negligence. If they were using their cell phone, trying to eat and drive, or were otherwise distracted, they could hit another vehicle. In some cases, the truck driver is too fatigued to safely operate the big rig. While truckers are supposed to take regular breaks to rest, they may not always stop when they need to. Additional factors can include unfamiliarity with the roads or inexperience with operating an 18 wheeler.
- Manufacturing Company. If an accident occurred because the truck had a defective part, then the manufacturing company could be held accountable for the accident.
To find the party who was responsible for your accident, your Las Cruces, NM truck accident lawyer will examine police reports, photographs of the scene, any data from the truck, and other additional case evidence to determine who was at fault.
What Kinds of Truck Accidents Occur in Las Cruces?
Because large trucks have two parts, the truck and the attached trailer, they can get into different types of accidents than regular-sized vehicles. These accidents can affect any of the vehicles on the road and potentially cause a multi-vehicle crash. Some common kinds of crashes are:
- Rollover Accidents. If a driver takes a turn too quickly or something causes the trailer’s wheels to lift off the ground, the truck can go off balance and rollover. Once this starts, there’s little the truck driver can do to regain control of the semi.
- Jackknife Accidents. Speeding and overloading a trailer can lead to jackknife accidents. This occurs when the trailer swings out from behind the truck and makes an L shape. The trailer can block lanes to oncoming traffic. If other vehicles are too close, they could collide with the trailer.
- Override Accidents. A truck can trap another car underneath it, which is called an override accident. Once the car is stuck, the driver will likely not be able to maneuver their vehicle. These accidents often cause fatalities.
Even if you don’t recognize the type of accident you were involved in, you’ll still want a Las Cruces, NM truck accident lawyer on your side. When a truck collides with another vehicle, the accident scene can be full of debris and putting together what happened can be difficult. Our lawyers are trained in investigating accident scenes and understanding what happened and why.
Why Are 18 Wheeler Injuries Often Severe?
Large trucks can weigh up to 80,000 lbs. In collisions, the smaller vehicles and their occupants often sustain most of the damage. Because these accidents are so dangerous, catastrophic injuries can occur. This cause lasting damage that will affect the person’s ability to return to the work force. Catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Loss of Limb
- Burn Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Burn Injuries
When you’re recovering from a catastrophic injury, you may need to stay in the hospital for some time. The cost of treating these injuries can add up quickly, which can cause a lot of financial stress when you’re unable to work, and likely won’t return to work. As you’re treating your injuries and are adjusting to living with the injury, our lawyers will look into the following:
- The Costs of Your Injuries
- Lost Wages and Loss of Earnings
When we calculate your compensation, we’ll seek the total losses of your accident, including what it will cost for you to get the treatment you need and what you’ll need in the future. We’ll also see the days of pay that you missed from the accident and calculate the loss of earnings if you won’t be able to go back to your job.
Other financial losses we’ll include in your compensation is the cost of property damage done to your vehicle. But we’ll fight for more than your financial losses. We take other damages into account as well:
- Pain and Suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
Your Las Cruces, NM truck accident lawyer will fight for you to have a secure financial future so you get the recovery you deserve.
Our Law Firm Stands Up for Truck Accident Victims
Shortly after a truck accident, you may have insurance adjusters contacting you about your injuries and damages. An adjuster will likely offer you a settlement that’s much less than you deserve and will not help you cover the costs of the accident. When they reach out, they’re looking for an official statement from you so they can use this information to reduce your claim. Our lawyers can deal with communicating with them so this doesn’t happen.
We will not let insurance adjusters, trucking companies, or manufacturing companies intimidate us when we’re fighting for you. Our lawyers have years of experience and are familiar with the tactics they’ll employ to give you less than you deserve or push you to accept a settlement. While they’re always going to act in their best interests, know that we’re always going to act with your best interests in mind. Our truck accident lawyers understand how the injuries from a truck accident can completely change your life. That’s why we’ll fight to maximize your compensation.
If the other party is not cooperating, your attorney will have a conversation with you about taking your case to court. Our New Mexico trial lawyers will fight for you in the courtroom. We have experience in building a strong case that we can present to a jury that shows you were a victim in this accident. We’ll help you prepare for that day so you’re confident and know what to expect.
Get Experienced Representation from Our Personal Injury Law Firm
If you’re dealing with injuries, looking at piling medical bills, and are getting harassing phone calls from insurance adjusters or representatives from the trucking company, our law firm is here for you. We can take on the legal responsibilities of your case so you’re able to recover with peace of mind.
Reach out to Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm today for a free consultation. A Las Cruces, NM truck accident lawyer will go over your legal options with you. We’ll work with you to find the best way to help you and your family move forward.