Were you at a store and slipped on a spill that wasn’t marked? Or were you walking through a parking lot and tripped because of a pothole? Did an escalator malfunction and cause you injuries? In these cases, you could seek legal action to get justice for your injuries and losses. A Harlingen, TX premises liability lawyer from Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm can fight for you.
These cases can be complex and require attorneys with experience and attention to detail. We approach each case knowing that yours will have specific and unique details that will determine how your accident occurred and how you were hurt. We’ll use the information from our investigation to seek full and fair compensation on your behalf.
Why Would Someone File a Premises Liability Claim?
Premises liability claims are for when people are injured on another’s property. While you may be familiar with the phrase “slip and fall,” premises liability extends beyond this. When these accidents occur, they can take only a few moments, but the injuries can be quite serious. The following situations could be potential reasons to contact a Harlingen, TX premises liability lawyer.
- Slip and Fall. These are likely the most commonly known types of property accidents. Spills or other liquids make the floor slippery and someone visiting slips and falls. There can also be trips and falls, which can be caused by debris blocking walkways, old carpets, and cables or wires in pathways.
- Elevator and Escalator Accidents. When elevators and escalators have issues and malfunction, people can get hurt.
- Attractive Nuisance. Pools and trampolines are examples of an attractive nuisance. They need to be closed off to public access so children don’t use them and injure themselves. In most cases, fences and gates with locks prevent access. If these aren’t set up or are broken, then anyone could have access to them.
- Dog Bite. Pet owners who don’t take measures to secure their dog could cause someone to get hurt. If a dog was off leash and bit someone, or escaped the property and caused someone to fall, they could have grounds to file for legal action.
- Negligent Security. Properties should have security measures like a guard, surveillance, or lighting. If someone is attacked due to lack of security, they may be able to file a claim.
This area of the law is wide—there are many situations where a negligent owner’s actions could have caused an accident and injuries. Our premises liability lawyers will sit down with you and go over the incident. We can determine if you have grounds for a case.
What Injuries Can Occur in a Premises Liability Accident?
Your injuries may have resulted in a hospital stay, needing medication, and you could be facing a long road to recovery. The shock of the accident can sometimes mask symptoms or you may have felt like you wanted to brush off the accident as quickly as possible if it happened in public, but these injuries may be more severe than you realize. Injures can include:
- Broken Bones
- Sprains and Strains
- Bite Injuries
- Assault Injuries
If you’ve sustained serious injuries, you’re likely unable to work for the time being and you could already be looking at the medical bills. These situations can be stressful, but you can depend on a Harlingen, TX premises liability lawyer to calculate your financial losses and to seek full and fair compensation so you’re able to work on your recovery.
We’ll also analyze the time you’ll have to live with your injuries to calculate pain and suffering damages, as well as loss of enjoyment of life and mental anguish from the distress of the accident. You’ve already sustained injuries from the negligent person’s actions, you shouldn’t have to minimize your losses from the accident. Our attorneys will fight for your financial future every step of the way.
Finding Who Was at Fault
When we’re filing a claim in Texas, we’ll need to show that certain elements were present in your case to hold the property owner accountable. With the evidence from accident reports, medical records, and other accounts of what happened, your premises liability lawyer will support the following:
- There was a hazard on the property that could risk harm to those on it.
- The owner had knowledge of the hazard, or they should have known about it.
- The owner did not protect those on the property from the hazard, therefore failing to meet the duty of care owed to others on the property.
- The owner’s actions caused the accident and the visitor sustained injuries and losses.
Along with this, we’ll also need to establish who you were while on the property. As an invitee or licensee, you had a legitimate reason to be there. While landowners do not ensure others’ safety, they do need to make others aware of dangers on the premises that aren’t obvious.
There are also different requirements depending on the type of premises. Slip and falls in a government building may work differently than a slip and fall in a grocery store. One of the biggest factors is time to come forward. That’s why it’s so important to have a lawyer as your representation as quickly as possible. We’ll make sure your claim is filed on time so you can seek compensation.
During your case, representation from the other side may try to contact you. They could attempt to persuade you to settle early and to end the matter. Never give an official statement or agree to anything without having your lawyer at your side. It’s likely that the offer is much less than you deserve. We’ll go through the legal process and will fight for your rights at every turn.
Our Lawyers Can Fight for You
When you have a Harlingen, TX premises liability lawyer from Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm in your corner, you can trust that we’ll always advocate for your best interests. We’ll help you get the recovery you deserve. To get started on your case, reach out to us today. Our attorneys will work with you to find the best way to proceed. We’re ready to help.