Every day, Houston roadways are packed with drivers trying to get to work, run an errand, or traveling through the city. When someone glances at their phone, doesn’t fully stop at a stop sign, or fails to use a turn signal, they could cause a potentially fatal car crash. In other cases, the vehicle occupants sustain serious injuries that cause physical and emotional damages. If you or a loved one has been hurt in an auto collision, a Houston, TX car accident lawyer from Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm can help you seek justice.
Our lawyers advocate for our clients and will always represent their best interests. We’ll use our legal expertise to help you get the compensation you’re rightfully owed. While you’re dealing with injuries and the recovery process, we’ll handle the legal process and fight for you to get the financial security you deserve.
We have experienced attorneys who have fought for car accident victims. We’re familiar with the ways that other parties may try to reduce your compensation or prevent you from getting the amount you deserve. We won’t let that happen. Our lawyers will be by your side throughout this process and will fiercely protect your rights.
Examining Texas Car Accident Statistics
The Texas Motor Vehicle Crash Facts for 2019 showed how often the people in this state are affected by auto collisions. There wasn’t a day in the state without a fatality on the road in this year.
- There was a total of 3,610 motor traffic fatalities.
- Out of 12,897 injury crashes, 15,843 people sustained serious injuries.
- 1,866 fatalities occurred in rural traffic crashes.
- One crash resulted in six or more fatalities.
The following conclusions are from this crash data:
- Someone lost their life in a car crash every two hours and 26 minutes.
- Every two minutes and three seconds, someone was hurt in a collision.
Let’s compare this state data to specific Houston car crash statistics in the same year:
- There were 68,682 total traffic crashes.
- Out of 240 fatal crashes, 253 people lost their lives.
- There were 1,200 suspected serious crashes that resulted in 1,392 suspected serious injuries.
With these accidents happening so frequently, there are a lot of people left to deal with the consequences and may not know who to turn to for help. A Houston, TX car accident lawyer from Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm can guide you through your legal journey and fight for you to get the compensation you need.
How Does Negligence Cause Auto Collisions?
When you have a car accident attorney from our law firm as representation, we’ll need to find out how the accident occurred. The other party could have acted negligently in a number of ways—once we know how they caused the accident, we can look into how you were affected.
- They Took Their Eyes Off the Road. Many drivers often take their eyes off the road due to a distraction. While reaching for an object, using the radio, or trying to eat are all forms of distracted driving, the cell phone is the biggest distraction. Using the phone to text or use social media can keep a driver’s eyes and focus off the road and at least one hand off the wheel.
- They Drove While Drunk. A drunk driver will have a delayed reaction time and poor judgement. Falling asleep at the wheel or veering out of their lane are common issues that can result in a collision. If you were harmed by a drunk driver, our lawyers will look into if this was their first offense or part of a dangerous pattern.
- They Disobeyed the Rules of the Road. Weaving through traffic, going over the speed limit, and speeding up at yellow lights are all dangerous forms of driving that reduces the driver’s reaction time. If they have to make a quick decision, they may lose control of their vehicle because they have less time and space to avoid a collision.
- The Driver Was Inexperienced. New drivers may not be used to driving defensively, anticipating what other motorists are doing, and aren’t used to driving in specific conditions like heavy traffic or at night. A new driver could have had a full car—which can be distracting. They could have overcorrected their steering and lost control of the vehicle. It’s also possible they forgot to use a signal or check a blind spot.
- They Drove Too Fast for Conditions. When weather obstructs visibility or makes the road more dangerous, motorists are supposed to adapt their driving to those conditions. Heavy rain could require slowing down and turning on headlights. If a driver continues to travel at the speed limit when it’s too dangerous to go that fast, they could cause an accident.
Our Houston, TX car accident lawyers know how difficult it can be to determine all the various factors that contributed to your accident. We’re prepared to consult with experts who specialize in accident reconstruction so we know every important detail of the crash and how the other party caused it.
What Are the Different Types of Car Crashes?
The kind of crash that you were involved in can provide a lot of important information about how the other driver was negligent and about the severity of your injuries. As car accident lawyers, we’re familiar with the various ways these collisions can occur. Some of the common ones include:
- Head-On Collision. This is when the front ends of the vehicles collide. Head-on collisions are one of the most dangerous collisions because both vehicles are traveling in opposite directions and the force of the impact is close to the driver. The 2019 Texas Crash Statistics reported that 600 people died in head-on collisions.
- Side Impact. Also know as a T-bone collision or broadside collision, this crash is another one that can result in fatalities and severe injuries. A vehicle strikes the side of the other vehicle. The driver or passenger on the side that’s struck could potentially suffer fatal injuries. These types of accidents often occur at intersections.
- Sideswipe. A sideswipe can happen when a car veers out of their lane and scrapes against the vehicle beside it. Unfortunately, both drivers may try to compensate and turn away from each other. They could lose control of the wheel and crash.
- Rear-End Collision. Typically caused by distracted driving, a rear-end collision occurs when the front of a vehicle strikes the trunk of another. If there is a long line of traffic, the momentum from the impact can carry through the vehicles, resulting in multiple injuries and damages.
- Single Vehicle Collision. While a single vehicle accident may sound like the fault is solely on its driver, that isn’t necessarily true. It’s also possible that person encountered a negligent driver and they had to take action to avoid a collision. However, while they avoided a collision with the negligent driver, they may have lost control or struck an object in a single-vehicle collision.
You can trust your attorney in Houston to identify the type of crash you were in and the details of the impact. This includes how fast the other driver was going, which parts of the vehicle collided, and investigating the resulting damages both to you and your vehicle.
How Damaging Are Car Accident Injuries?
An auto collision can cause injuries that could take weeks, months, or years to heal. Some accidents may result in permanent injuries. In other cases, the injuries could be fatal. Our lawyers know how devastating these injuries can be and how they affect a car accident victim’s life. Injuries that can occur from a crash include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury. The brain is a delicate organ that can be severely hurt when someone’s head is bumped or jolted. This causes the brain to collide with the skull, often resulting in bleeding or swelling. Should something penetrate the skull, it can cause trauma to the brain as well. When a brain injury occurs, immediate medical attention is often needed. Then, the person could be looking at a long recovery time.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. If the spinal cord is severely injured, function and feeling below that point could cease. Someone could lose their ability to walk and require medical equipment for the rest of their life.
- Loss of Limb. An accident could result in losing a limb, whether it happened during the accident or a limb was so damaged that it was necessary for a surgeon to remove it.
- Whiplash. This kind of injury is common in rear-end accidents. The impact causes the head to snap back and forth, injuring the neck. Whiplash can cause chronic pain.
- Broken Bones. The impact could cause fractures or broken bones, which can be dangerous, painful, and require a cast to heal.
- Soft Tissue Injuries. The person can sustain sprains and strains.
In some cases, the injuries you’ve sustained may not be completely apparent until some time has passed. Latent car crash injuries can occur and you find days or weeks later that you sustained more injuries than you originally thought. This is why it’s vital to see a doctor for a medical evaluation as soon as possible so you have documentation of your injuries and what you’ll need to do for recovery.
Your Houston car accident lawyer can use the medical record to help show that you were hurt severely enough to seek medical attention. This will also detail the injuries you’ve sustained from the accident.
A Houston, TX Car Accident Lawyer Will Stand Up for You
After you’ve sought a medical evaluation, you should reach out to a personal injury lawyer. Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm will protect your rights and be at your side during the legal process.
We’ll deal with the insurance company so insurance adjusters can stop with harassing phone calls trying to get you to settle for less than you deserve. They are always trying to protect their company first, which means not giving you a full payout.
Our lawyer will go over every aspect of your case, analyze the full economic and noneconomic impact you’re facing, and seek the maximum compensation for you. This financial security can allow you to cover medical expenses and lost wages so you can get the recovery you need and not have to worry about missing work.
When we’re fighting for you, we’ll always consider every option. If taking your case to court is how you can get the chance to get fair compensation for your damages, then we’re ready to represent you in the courtroom. A Houston, TX car accident lawyer from our firm will prepare your case to show how you were wrongfully injured because of a negligent driver. We’ll also help prepare you on the proceedings and what you can expect so you’re confident in the courtroom.
How Long Do You Have to File a Car Accident Claim?
There is a time limit that you have from the date of the accident to come forward with a claim. The statute of limitations in Texas is two years. If you wait, you could miss your opportunity to seek compensation.
Two years can sound like a long time, but when you’re working on recovery and the aftermath of an accident, this time can pass quickly. It’s important to reach out to a car accident lawyer as quickly as possible so we can start helping you.
Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm Can Fight for Your Rights
Even the most careful drivers can be involved in an accident when someone else decides to act negligently. You shouldn’t have to handle all the costs of an accident on your own when you weren’t the one at fault. The most important fact you need to remember is that you don’t have to go through this alone. Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm fights for those who were wrongfully hurt in Texas. We’re here to help you. All you have to do is get in touch with us.
When you contact us, we’ll schedule a free case evaluation so we can review your case, how you were hurt, and how your injuries and damages will affect your future. We’ll go over your options and also answer any questions that you have about the legal process. Then we can start building your claim. You can trust your Houston, TX car accident lawyer to deal with the legal complexities so you can focus on healing.