When you have experience riding a motorcycle, you might think that you won’t get into a collision while on your motorbike. But even the most experienced riders can get into wrecks because they make a mistake or other drivers on the road aren’t being careful. When that happens, you’ll need the help of our Fort Worth, TX motorcycle accident lawyer.
At Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm, we have experience representing victims of motorcycle wrecks. We understand that this is a vulnerable time because you’re likely dealing with serious injuries and other damages that were caused by another driver or party. That’s why we’re willing to handle the legal side of things for you so that you can focus on healing and getting back to your normal life as best as possible.
Causes of Motorcycle Wrecks in Fort Worth
In order to best avoid getting into a crash on a motorcycle, it’s helpful to know what actions or scenarios could cause a wreck. If you’ve already been in one, though, your lawyer will look into what caused your collision so that they can get a better idea of who was responsible for what happened. That way, they can build you a strong case that proves you weren’t at fault.
Here are some of the most common causes of motorcycle wrecks in Fort Worth that you might recognize as the reason you got into a crash:
- Left Turns. These are some of the deadliest kinds of collisions for motorcyclists because they are broadsided while trying to make a left turn. If another driver is continuing through an intersection, they can easily hit a motorcyclist and throw them from their bike.
- Low Visibility. When conditions make it harder to see on the road, motorcycles can be even more difficult to spot than in perfect conditions.
- Speeding. High speeds can cause accidents because all drivers involved have less time to react to other vehicles. This can also be dangerous because drivers and motorcyclists alike can lose control of their vehicles at higher speeds.
- Lane Splitting. Even though this is illegal in Texas, motorcyclists might take part in this practice. Lane splitting is when motorcycles ride through slow or stopped traffic by weaving through the slowed vehicles. This can be dangerous because the cars don’t see the motorcyclists approaching or might change lanes into them.
- Losing Control. Even though motorcyclists have completed courses and gotten their license to ride this type of vehicle, riders can easily lose control of their bikes because they require extra balance and skill to operate them.
- Distracted Driving. Distracted driving is dangerous for any vehicles but can be especially dangerous when a regular driver crashes into a motorcycle.
- Drunk Driving. When drunk or high drivers get behind the wheel, they can crash into motorcycles and cause severe damages to everyone involved, but especially the motorcyclists.
Determining the cause of your collision can be a crucial first step for your case. Your lawyer will use this information to prove the other party was negligent and that they were responsible for your wreck. These aren’t the only causes of motorcycle accidents, though, so if you don’t see what you think caused yours, then you could still have a claim.
Our Fort Worth, TX motorcycle accident attorney is here to support you through your claim. We’ll investigate your collision so that we can determine what happened and build the strongest case possible for you.
Important Texas Motorcycle Laws
In determining fault, looking at Texas motorcycle laws can help your lawyer determine whether or not you were responsible at all for what happened. By following all of the motorcycle laws, not only are you protecting yourself as much as possible from a collision happening, but you also make it less likely that you can be blamed for the wreck.
One of the most important laws that you should pay attention to and follow is the helmet law. Any rider under 21 years old is legally required to wear a helmet that complied with Federal Motor Vehicle Standards. Even if you’re over 21, you should still wear one because they can protect riders from head and neck injuries that they would otherwise suffer. While not required, you should also wear eye protection and proper protective clothing.
However, turning 21 isn’t the only factor that allows you to ride without a helmet. You also must complete a department-approved Motorcycle Operator Training Course. If you don’t complete the course, you have to have at least $10,000 in medical insurance.
While these aren’t laws, you should also ensure you are always as visible as possible, signal clearly, keep a safe distance, and drive defensively so that you are always alert and prepared to act. Taking all of these precautions can help your Fort Worth, TX motorcycle accident lawyer prove that you are not liable for the wreck that you were in.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
One of the other essential parts of your claim, other than proving negligence, is proving the damages that you suffered as a direct result of the accident. Your lawyer will use the evidence of these injuries to further build your case and show that this other party caused you injuries and subsequent damages from their actions.
Here are some of the most common injuries that can occur from motorbike crashes:
- Cuts and Lacerations
- Road Rash
- Crushing Injuries
- Internal Organ Damage
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Neck and Back Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
Any of these injuries on their own can be devastating and hard to recover from, but any mixture of these can also make your daily life harder. If you injuries will require future care, then you might have more medical bills and treatment in your future.
Additionally, you could be missing work from the hurt you incurred in your crash. Depending on your injuries, you also might be unable to return to work for a while, if at all. A Fort Worth, TX motorcycle accident lawyer can help you calculate what you’re owed for all of the damages you suffered, including all of your physical and emotional injuries.
Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm Will Fight for You
Having a Fort Worth, TX motorcycle accident attorney on your side can help you get full and fair compensation for what you’ve been through. You shouldn’t feel intimidated by the other party, their insurance company, or a larger entity and decide not to file a claim.
At Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm, we have experience representing our clients and getting them the justice they deserve. Contact our office today so we can get started on your free consultation.