When you need medical attention, you trust doctors and other medical professionals to leave you better than you came in when you go to them for care. However, that’s not always what happens—sometimes they are negligent in their treatment and cause you more damage than when you came to them. If this happens, our Fort Worth, TX medical malpractice lawyer can help you get justice for the harm you’ve suffered.
You expect doctors and other healthcare professionals to be diligent with your care, not negligent. Their negligence often leads to errors that can cause serious injuries and other damages for patients, like you. That’s why Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm is dedicating to holding negligence medical professionals accountable for their actions so that their victims can get justice and hopefully others won’t have to experience the same trauma.
Elements of Negligence Your Attorney Will Prove
Your medical malpractice claim will hinge upon your lawyer proving the elements of negligence were present. There was an expected way for your doctor or other caretaker to treat you, and when they breach that standard of care, that’s when your claim shifts into med mal.
This is important to note because it shows that medical malpractice isn’t when you’re just unhappy with your care. Even though you have every right to be upset with your care and filing a complaint, it isn’t medical malpractice unless you are injured through the elements of negligence.
Here are the elements that your med mal attorney will fight to prove in order to start building your claim:
- A doctor-patient relationship existed where you were owed the standard of care.
- Your doctor or healthcare worker breached that standard through their negligence.
- That breach directly caused you to be injured.
- Your injury led to you suffering damages.
Your attorney will look into your medical records and proof of injuries to determine where the negligence occurred. If needed, they’ll also have medical experts testify how they would have handled your ailment, or what the standard of care is for a situation like yours. That way, they can compare that to how you were treated to show the difference when that negligence occurred.
That’s why it’s crucial to have a med mal lawyer on your side—they know how to build you a strong case. Our Fort Worth, TX medical malpractice attorney is here to support you through your entire claim and get you justice.
Instances of Medical Negligence
The main part of your case will be identifying the moment of medical negligence. Once that is established, your attorney can use that to prove you have a med mal claim and you deserve justice for your injuries. Here are some of the most common instances of medical negligence that are seen in Fort Worth:
- Misdiagnosis. When a doctor diagnoses you with an illness or injury that isn’t what you’re actually sick with, they could have misdiagnosed you. This can be negligence when the signs for your illness are obvious, and they diagnose you incorrectly. Additionally, a misdiagnosis can cause you to go through unnecessary treatments and emotional trauma, like if you’re misdiagnosed with cancer.
- Missed Diagnosis. Similarly to a misdiagnosis, your doctor can also miss your diagnosis that causes you to suffer further injuries that you shouldn’t have. When you have obvious symptoms, like a heart attack, and you’re diagnosed with heartburn and sent home, and then suffer from more harm because of your heart attack, that would be a missed diagnosis.
- Medication Errors. When a patient has an allergy that is ignored, then that could be a medication error. Medication errors also extend to the wrong medication, dosage, or administration of the drug taking place for a patient.
- Anesthesia Errors. Anesthesia is helpful in surgeries and other procedures to ensure that patients are asleep, but if it’s not administered correctly, in the right dose, or if a patient has known reactions with it, then an error could be a life or death situation.
- Surgical Errors. Surgery is a delicate procedure—one wrong move and a surgeon could damage other organs or surrounding tissue. When that happens, that could be medical malpractice. Other surgical errors that could be considered med mal are wrong site surgeries and leaving tools in the patient’s body.
- Birth Injuries. During birth, sometimes doctors and nurses make mistakes or are too rough, and this could lead to more injuries for the baby and mother. Improper use of tools, or negligence of any other kind could damage the health of the mother or her baby, which would be considered med mal.
- Infections. Hospitals are supposed to be sterile areas, but they are one of the best places to catch an infection because they spread so easily from staff. If staff members don’t pay attention to sterile fields or contamination, then they could negligently infect patients and cause them harm.
You visit a hospital or doctor’s office because you need treatment and care for what’s ailing you. When any of the above situations happen, you could not only suffer from more damages by seeking out treatment but could also cause you to lose faith in the medical system. You deserve to receive the care you expected and better. That’s where a lawyer can help.
If you recognize one of the scenarios above as what happened to you, or even if you don’t, you might have a med mal claim to file against the healthcare worker who hurt you. Our Fort Worth, TX medical malpractice lawyer is here to help you get justice for what you’ve endured.
Our Fort Worth, TX Med Mal Lawyer Can Help You
After suffering from a med mal injury, you’re likely left feeling more vulnerable than before and unsure who to turn to. A Fort Worth, TX medical malpractice lawyer is on your side to guide you through your next steps so that you can recover from these damages. We’ll build you a strong claim so that you can get the justice that you deserve.
We’ll look into your medical records, medical bills, lost wages, and any lifelong costs that you’ve suffered as a result of a doctor’s negligence so that we can accurately calculate what you’re owed. That way, we can get you full and fair compensation for your injuries and other damages.
While we’re working on getting you the financial recovery that you deserve, you can focus on your physical and emotional healing. We’ll handle the legal side of things so you can have peace of mind. Reach out to our office today so we can get started working for you right away.