As a key city for trade with Mexico, Brownsville is home to many large trucks and drivers experience tractor trailers traveling on our roads regularly. While this means great things for our economy, it doesn’t always mean great things for the other people sharing the road with the 18 wheelers. Truck drivers are highly trained and certified, but they can make mistakes just like any other drivers.
When a trucker or another party makes a mistake that leads to a collision, the consequences could be catastrophic. Our Brownsville, TX truck accident lawyer is here to fight for your rights and get you the compensation you deserve because we know the injuries and damages you suffered could have life-changing effects.
Large trucks are up to 30 times heavier than regular-sized vehicles, which means a collision between the two is more devastating than a collision between two vehicles of the same size might be. This also means that the collisions are deadlier for the passengers of regular vehicles, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). That’s why our attorneys are here to help you.
Brownsville Truck Accident Statistics
We’re a key city in international trade, and many of the industries in Brownsville export goods that need to go to the rest of the United States or across the river to Mexico. With all these trucks on the road, we can look to the statistics of commercial truck wrecks in our county. The Texas Department of Transportation released a report that lists how many large trucks were in crashes in our county in 2020.
Here are the numbers of crashes in Cameron County in 2020 and their respective injury severities:
- 211 total crashes
- 2 unknown severity crashes
- 157 non-injury crashes
- 30 possible injury crashes
- 18 non-incapacitating injury crashes
- 3 suspected serious injury crashes
- 1 fatal crash
Looking at these numbers, you might think that since most of these crashes didn’t cause injuries that they’re not serious or didn’t cause any damages. Just because there weren’t any injuries reported doesn’t mean that there weren’t other damages caused by the collision, like property damage or even emotional damages.
Large truck wrecks can cause devastating physical injuries as well as leave lasting emotional effects on the victims involved. When you’ve been in a collision with a commercial motor vehicle, you might have a claim against the party responsible. Our Brownsville, TX truck accident lawyer is here to help you get the justice you deserve.
Parties Who Could Be Responsible
One of the most important parts of your claim will involve your truck accident lawyer determining exactly what caused the collision and who was responsible. That way, they know who they’re filing your case against and who they need to build evidence against. What you might not realize is that the truck driver isn’t always the party who caused your collision. There are many other parties who could have caused the crash between you and the big rig.
Immediately after a wreck with a tractor trailer, you might automatically assume the trucker was at fault. When you make accusations without knowing the full situation, that could harm you later when making a claim. That’s why it’s important that you don’t point fingers after a wreck and allow the authorities and your attorneys to determine the real party at fault.
Here are some of the different parties who could have caused your wreck:
- Truck driver
- Other drivers
- Trucking company
- Truck part manufacturer
- Government agency
Your Brownsville, TX truck accident lawyer will investigate what happened so that they can hold the correct party accountable for the negligence that led to your wreck. You can trust us to support you through your claim and ensure the right party is held responsible.
What to Do After a Tractor Trailer Wreck in Brownsville
You might not know what to do immediately after a crash with an 18 wheeler in Brownsville. Here are the steps you should take to ensure you get the most help possible:
- Call Emergency Services. Calling 911 as soon as you’re safe and able to is vital in this situation. That way, emergency medical services and the police know to arrive on the scene and know what to expect of the collision.
- Speak with the Police. As soon as they arrive, you should speak with the police and give them an honest account of what happened. It’s important not to blame anyone specifically because you can’t be sure exactly what caused the collision. Also make sure you don’t apologize.
- Exchange Information. Speak with the truck driver and exchange important information, like name, address, insurance information, and any other information that you might need later on.
- Talk to Witnesses. It can be helpful to talk to any witnesses and get their information so that you can talk to them later if you end up filing a claim.
- Document the Scene. If you can, you should take pictures and videos of all damages, conditions, and injuries that might be visible from the accident. This documents the scene and gives you proof later.
- Seek Medical Attention. You’re likely injured from a collision with a commercial truck. You should seek medical attention as soon as possible so a doctor can add your injuries to your medical record and you can start treatment right away.
- Hire a Lawyer. You’ll want an attorney on your side so that your claim is as strong as possible. Our Brownsville, TX truck accident attorney is here to support you every step of the way and ensure you are properly represented in your case.
You Can Trust Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm
Our experienced lawyers are prepared to fight for you until you get full and fair compensation for the damages caused by a negligent party. Truck wrecks can be devastating. That’s why we’ll handle the legal side of things while you focus on healing.
Other parties might try to get you to settle for less than you deserve. With our Brownsville, TX truck accident lawyer on your side, you can rest assured that we won’t allow you to be pushed to settle for less. Reach out to our office today so we can get started talking about your case.