Whether you’re driving on the highway, interstate, or around town, you know how important it is to be cautious and alert when behind the wheel. When others aren’t cautious and take risks, their actions can cause serious accidents. If you or a loved one was in an auto collision that resulted in injuries and other losses, you can explore your legal options. A Rio Rancho, NM car accident lawyer from Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm can help you with your claim.
We’ve seen how a car accident can affect an individual and their family. Often, they’re overwhelmed with the costs of the accident and wonder how they’re going to get through this. Our attorneys are here to fight for their rights. We will work diligently to get you the justice you deserve.
What Are the Main Causes of Car Accidents in New Mexico?
Knowing how your accident occurred will help your lawyer find who was at fault and why the accident happened. While any time someone acts negligently a car accident can occur, there are some common forms of negligence behind most crashes. Before learning more about the common causes of accidents, let’s go over how often these wrecks happen.
Rio Rancho had 1,270 total crashes in 2019. When compared to a population sample, that’s 12.9 crashes per 1,000 residents. There were 6 fatal crashes, 383 injury crashes, and 881 crashes that resulted in property damage only.
When examining the causes of accidents, it’s possible one of the following could have happened:
- Drunk Driving. Of the total crashes in 2019, 71 involved alcohol. When drivers make the reckless decision to get behind the wheel when they’ve been drinking, they will not have the judgement, motor control, and awareness to safely operate a vehicle.
- Distracted Driving. Nearly everyone drives with a cell phone. Some even use it to tell them where they’re going. However, when a driver is paying attention to their phone and not the road, they’re driving while distracted. They could exit their lane without noticing or hit a car in front of them because traffic slowed down or stopped.
- Following Too Closely. Some drivers may not give cars in front of them enough space. If that car slows down to turn or needs to stop because of something happening in front of them, the driver following too closely will likely not be able to stop in time to avoid a collision.
- Speeding. Drivers who go over the speed limit are putting themselves and others in danger because they may lose control of their vehicle and crash.
- Driver Error. Drivers may forget to use their signal, check blind spots, or turn on their headlights. These mistakes can lead to accidents. Often, newer, inexperienced drivers can forget to take certain steps and cause a collision.
After the crash, the police will make a report of the accident. They will make their assessment of the scene, which can help your lawyer get more details about what happened.
Your Rio Rancho, NM car accident lawyer will also conduct a full investigation, which will also involve assessing your medical records, photographs of the scene, and any eyewitness accounts. We’ll find out who was responsible for your injuries.
Identifying the Different Types of Car Collisions and Injuries
When your lawyer is looking at the injuries and damages sustained, we’ll also consider the type of accident you were in as this can help indicate the severity of your injuries. Some collisions may be more likely to cause catastrophic injuries, which will have lifelong consequences.
Here are some common types of car collisions our lawyers are familiar with:
- Rear-End Collision. These often occur when the driver isn’t paying attention to the road. They could be looking at their phone, changing the radio station, or is otherwise focused on something that isn’t ahead of them. The car in front stops, and they collide with it. Unfortunately, these accidents can involve multiple people if there’s a line of stopped traffic.
- Head-On Collision. A head-on collision can result in fatalities or severe damages because the fronts of two vehicles strike each other. The drivers are where the main impact is.
- Left-Turn Collision. Many accidents happen when someone is making a left turn. They may incorrectly judge how much time they have to make a turn and hit someone traveling through the lane. These can also result in broadside collisions, where the front of one vehicle hits the side of the other.
- Dooring. When a car is parked, the driver may be more focused on their next task and not on being cautious or checking for traffic. If they’re parked on the street or are in a parking lot with an empty space next to them, they may open their door as a car is approaching, which can result in a wreck.
Whenever someone acts negligently when they’re driving, they can cause someone else to sustain serious injuries. Car accident injuries include:
- TBI. Traumatic brain injuries can cause permanent cognitive damage that can make it difficult to think, remember, and communicate. TBI’s will likely require continued care.
- Paralysis. If someone’s spinal column is injured, they could become paralyzed below the injury site.
- Broken Bones. The impact of the crash can break bones, which can take weeks or months to heal.
- Internal Organ Damage. If internal organ damage occurs, the person may need immediate medical treatment.
- Whiplash. Often a result of the rear-end collision, whiplash occurs when a person’s head is rapidly moved back and forth. The motion can cause neck, shoulder, and back pain.
Your car accident injuries may take a long time to heal and will require you to make adjustments to your lifestyle, either for a finite amount of time or for the rest of your life. The costs of care along with these changes can take a major toll on you. That’s where we can step in.
How Will Your Rio Rancho, NM Car Accident Lawyer Help You?
When you’re handling the consequences of the accident, you are likely worrying about the work you’re missing and how you’re going to afford the care you need while still maintaining other financial responsibilities. Your lawyer will examine all your injuries and damages and seek to maximize your compensation. Possible damages you can recover in your compensation include:
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Diminished Earning Capacity/Loss of Earnings
- Property Damage
- Pain and Suffering
- Emotional Anguish
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
Your car accident attorney will fight for you to get compensation that will give you peace of mind. We will stand up for your best interests so you can recover knowing that you’ll be able to get the care you need and cover your other expenses.
Reach Out to Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm
When a car accident has caused you injuries and damages, our personal injury law firm is here to help you move forward. Our lawyers are dedicated to fighting for the best possible outcome for our clients. We will always advocate for your rights.
Contact our office today for a free case evaluation. We’ll learn more about what happened to you, how you were hurt, and go over how we can help. We’ll find the legal option that works best for you. Then, we can start fighting for your future.