A careless driver may cause an accident that involves you or a loved one. When you’ve been in an auto wreck, you may not realize the extent of your injuries and other damages. Your physical recovery could involve medical treatment for the upcoming weeks or months. While you’re working on treating your injuries, you may wonder about your legal options. Since your accident occurred because another party acted negligently, you may be eligible to take legal action. A Las Cruces, NM car accident lawyer from Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm is here to help you.
When we’re on your side, we’re going to fight for you to receive the full and fair compensation that you deserve. Our experienced attorneys know the important elements of a car accident case. We need to show that the other party owed you a duty of care, they failed to do this through their negligent actions, they caused the accident, and this caused your injuries and other losses. During our investigation, we’ll gather evidence to prove those points so you’re able to get the recovery you deserve.
How Does Negligence Cause Car Accidents in Las Cruces?
Drivers need to have their eyes on the road, hands on the wheel, and their minds focused on driving. When drivers are near other cars on the road, they usually expect them to do the same. If someone needs to change lanes, they’ll use their signal and check their blind spots. If a driver is slowing down, they trust that those behind them will notice their brake lights and do the same. However, when drivers aren’t prioritizing safety, they can cause accidents with severe injuries.
Our law firm is aware of the many reasons that can cause a collision. Common examples of negligence include:
- Distracted Driving. The biggest distraction for drivers is the cell phone. Nearly everyone has one and depends on it for GPS and communication. If the driver is more attentive to their phone than the road, they could collide with someone before they even knew they were going to hit them.
- Drunk Driving. When an impaired driver is behind the wheel, they’re unable to drive safely. Controlling speed, staying in their lane, and tracking objects are all affected. Drunk drivers can cause serious car accidents, especially in situations where they don’t know they’re going the wrong way on the road and cause a head-on collision.
- Aggressive/Reckless Driving. There are many examples of how a driver can put others in danger. Speeding, weaving through traffic, following too closely, and having road rage can all cause a collision.
When a negligent driver has exhibited one of the behaviors above, it may explain why your collision happened. Your Las Cruces, NM car accident lawyer will also investigate any other factors that contributed to the crash and the severity of your injuries. These factors include:
- Road Condition
- Weather Condition
We’ll find all the facts surrounding your case so we know what happened and why. Once your car accident lawyer has the full story, we can investigate the scope of your injuries.
What Injuries Can Occur After an Auto Collision?
Car accidents can cause injuries to the brain, spinal cord, and internal organs. Vehicle occupants may sustain broken bones, lacerations, whiplash, or sprains. While some injuries may be apparent, it’s important to see a doctor to evaluate you after the crash as you may have injuries you do not know about.
Latent car accident injuries can take time to show symptoms because of the shock and adrenaline you can feel after the traumatic experience of a crash. You may think you’re fine, but as the shock wears off, you may begin to feel painful symptoms in the following hours or days.
When you see a medical professional, they’ll be able to examine your injuries and begin treatment immediately. Depending on your injuries, you may be able to make a full recovery. However, serious injuries can have long-lasting consequences. You may have issues with performing daily tasks or find that you will not be able to return to your job. If you cannot go back to work at all, then your injuries are catastrophic.
If your injuries will not fully heal or have caused a permanent disability, your lawyer will seek compensation that covers these losses. We take all your injuries and losses into account so you can get maximum compensation. This includes:
- Lost Wages
- Diminished Earning Capacity
- Loss of Earnings
- Medical Bills, Future Medical Care
- Property Damage
- Pain and Suffering
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Mental Anguish
You can count on your Las Cruces, NM car accident lawyer to always fight for your best interests. We will not settle for less than you deserve.
What Can You Do After an Accident?
After an accident, your actions can help you get justice in the future. While this time will likely be confusing and stressful, it’s important to remain calm and get the help and information you need. You should:
- Seek Safety and Call Emergency Services. If you’re in traffic and are able to move, get to the side of the road so you’re away from traffic. Then you can call for help. Wait for emergency services to get there so they can assist you.
- Provide Police Statement. After paramedics have helped you, the police will want to speak with you. When providing your account of what happened, be as detailed as possible from what you remember. It’s also important to not apologize, as this can be seen as admitting guilt and therefore you could have some fault in the accident.
- Take Photographs. Photographs of the scene can document damage, the time and conditions surrounding the accident, and you can document your injuries as well. This can provide insight into how severely you were hurt and the damage the vehicles sustained.
- Exchange Information. You should get the other driver’s name, contact information, VIN, and insurance policy number so you can report the accident. It’s also important to not apologize to them, either.
- See a Doctor. After you’ve done what you can at the scene, see a doctor as soon as possible so you know how you were hurt. Your medical records will also show that you needed to seek medical treatment because of the accident.
The next step is to speak with a Las Cruces, NM car accident lawyer so you can begin the legal process. We’ll help you hold the negligent party accountable for their actions and start fighting for you to get the compensation you need so you can recover without worrying about how you’re going to afford care and keep up with other financial responsibilities.
Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm Is Here for You
While a car accident can happen in mere seconds, the consequences can affect you for months or years. This is overwhelming for anyone to deal with on your own, but you don’t have to do this alone. Our law firm is here to stand up for your rights. We’re going to fight for you to get the recovery you need so you can move forward.
Reach out to our office today for a free case evaluation. One of our experienced and compassionate car accident attorneys will go over the details of your case, how you were hurt, and start planning on how we can help.