Motorists nationwide depend on cars, trucks, and SUVs to provide access to the world around them. If you’re like many people, you spend a significant portion of your life behind the wheel—whether commuting to work, visiting family, buying groceries, taking kids to and from school, or driving loved ones to appointments.
As a driver, you know the dangers that come with car travel, and you take measures to stay safe on the road. Tragically, not everyone practices such diligence and care when operating a powerful motor vehicle. Car accidents are a leading cause of death every year in the United States.
If you or a loved one suffered a serious vehicle collision, you know how life-changing this experience can be. And when your injury or loss was caused by the negligent actions of another party, it can be extremely challenging to seek the healing you need.
At Buckingham Barrera Vega Law firm, we help individuals and families nationwide fight for justice. When you partner with an experienced car accident lawyer from our law firm, you have the assurance that your best interests will always come first. We believe that no person should suffer the physical, emotional, and financial consequences of another’s wrongdoing.
What Causes Car Accidents?
The majority of car accidents are caused by human error. There may be other factors involved (such as weather or road conditions), but extensive research has determined that most crashes result from motorist negligence or willful dangerous behavior.
Anyone operating a vehicle has a duty to act in such a way that they do not put the lives of others in danger. Too many people forget this fact when they start up their car and put it in drive.
The following negligent behaviors are responsible for a majority of car accidents across the country:
- Impaired driving (under the influence of drugs or alcohol)
- Distracted driving (often involving texting and driving or other cell phone use)
- Reckless driving
- Aggressive driving
- Disregarding traffic rules and signs
- General inattentiveness
- Miscalculating distance between vehicles
- Failing to look before merging or turns
- Making illegal maneuvers
- Not taking weather, road, or traffic conditions into consideration
Common Car Crash Injuries
There are several factors that influence the severity of a car crash injury. The most important factors include:
- How fast the vehicles were traveling at the time of the collision
- The angle of impact
- Whether drivers and passengers were wearing seatbelts
- The size of the vehicles involved (and the difference in size between the vehicles)
- The number of vehicles involved
- The involvement of alcohol
A mild fender bender may result in minor injuries, but the consequences of a high-speed car accident are much more serious. Alcohol involvement almost always increases the severity of a collision, and when drivers or passengers are unrestrained (not wearing a seatbelt), the outcome is often fatal.
The U.S. Department of Transportation reported that 38,824 people were killed in motor vehicle accidents in 2020—the highest number of deaths since 2007. Thousands more survive crashes but face a future changed drastically by a severe injury. The term “catastrophic injury” describes an injury that significantly affects a person’s ability to live the life they led prior to the accident.
Car accident injuries can take many forms. Some of the most common serious injuries sustained in motor vehicle crashes include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Bruises, lacerations, and abrasions
- Spinal cord injury
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Burn injury
- Facial disfigurement
- Permanent scarring
- Permanent disability
How a Car Accident Lawyer Helps You
The expenses that accompany a car accident can be difficult to imagine. After a collision, victims are burdened with enormous expenses for things like medical care, prescription medication, physical therapy, fixing or replacing a vehicle, finding alternative transportation options, childcare, and more. These costs often come at the same time you lose your ability to work and earn income.
Your car accident lawyers from Buckingham Barrera Vega know how unfair it is for a car accident victim to bear these burdens alone. We have devoted years of our practice to making sure injured accident victims have the support they need to put their lives back together.
As your car accident lawyers, we make a promise to you that we will use our knowledge and experience to help you:
- Analyze the details of the accident and determine liability
- Gather the evidence needed to prove liability and support your case
- Fully understand how the accident and injury changed your life
- Calculate full and fair compensation for the losses you suffered
- Communicate with insurance companies on your behalf
- Negotiate a fair settlement so you can receive maximum compensation
- Represent you before a judge and jury if your case needs to go to court
- Keep in close communication with you through every step of the process
- Prioritize your privacy and dignity in everything we do
Buckingham Barrera Vega Has the Expertise You Need
The car accident lawyers from Buckingham Barrera Vega have decades of combined experience in complicated motor vehicle cases. No matter your circumstances, we have what it takes to get you the financial security you need to focus on healing.
We never charge a fee for an initial consultation to discuss your legal options. During your free case evaluation, an experienced car accident lawyer will go over the details of your case and the best way to move forward. If we mutually decide to work together to pursue justice, you can be confident that you’ve given your case the best chance for a successful outcome. Contact us today to begin a conversation.