In general, hospitals can be liable for the mistakes and negligent actions of their staff – like nurses. These facilities can also be liable when their policies or settings contribute to patients’ injuries.
In the context of gallbladder surgery injuries, hospital liability can come into play if or when:
- Nurses leave surgical tools inside of patients.
- Nurses fail to monitor post-operative patients, especially when these patients are clearly displaying signs of serious complications.
- Surgeons, who are clearly incompetent and/or have a history of harming patients, are allowed to perform gallbladder removal surgery.
- Hospitals lack sanitary or appropriate equipment (or operating rooms) for performing gallbladder removal surgeries.
- Hospitals policies promote or increase the risk of surgical errors. This, for instance, can be the case if hospitals lack policies to prevent never events, to appropriately monitor patients after surgery, etc.
Here, it is also important to point out that, if a surgeon’s error (like mistakenly cutting a bile duct) has harmed a patient (and that surgeon does not have a history of incompetence), the hospital will not necessarily be liable. This is because surgeons are typically not considered to be hospital employees. In these situations, the surgeon (and/or other negligent medical professionals) can still be liable for patients’ injuries even if the hospital is not on the hook for them.
Proving Hospital Liability
When hospital liability may be a factor in a gallbladder surgery medical malpractice case, there can be a number of ways to prove liability. Some possible evidence for these cases can include (and is by no means limited to):
- Hospital staffing records
- Hospital policy documents
- Patients’ medical records and test results
- Testimony from expert medical witnesses.
Get More Answers Now: Contact Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured due to gallbladder surgery errors, you can rely on Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm for vigorous advocacy and experienced help with your financial recovery.
As fierce litigators with a strong record of success, our lawyers are skilled at going up against insurance companies, corporations and other daunting opponents to help our clients obtain the compensation they deserve for their injuries and losses. Additionally, during the recovery process, our clients can count on us for compassion and support, as well as personal legal service and accessibility.
Call (432) 570-1919 or email our firm via the contact form on this page to schedule a free consultation with one of our lawyers. When you meet with us, you can get clear-cut answers about your rights and best options for recovery so that you have the information you need to make the right decision for you and your family as you move forward.
From offices based in Midland and Albuquerque, our skilled lawyers provide superior service and effective legal advocacy to injured people throughout Midland County, the state of Texas, the state of New Mexico, and the U.S.