Sharing the road with large trucks can be intimidating, but responsible drivers can take measures to keep themselves safe. However, when a smaller vehicle is next to a commercial truck, it’s clear that even if the driver is cautious, they may not be able to prevent a collision. When negligence causes a collision, it’s the driver in the other vehicle that will likely sustain serious injuries and damages. If this has happened to you or a loved one, Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm is here for you. A Tucson, AZ truck accident lawyer from our firm can fight for you to get the recovery you deserve.
Our law firm protects the rights of residents of Tucson and the state of Arizona. When you’re dealing with the consequences of a large truck accident, you may not know how you’re going to get back to normal. We can fight for you to get the care you need so you don’t have to worry about when you’re going to return to work or how you’re going to pay your medical bills. Our lawyers always advocate for our clients’ rights and we can do the same for you.
Who Is Responsible for a Big Rig Collision?
Determining who was at fault for your accident will require your Tucson, AZ truck accident lawyer to investigate your case and see who acted negligently. These accidents can be complex—there may be a variety of factors that affected the severity of the accident and how you were hurt. Our lawyers will find the responsible party and hold them accountable.
In a Large Truck Causation Study, the common reasons for why serious truck accidents occurred came down to issues with the driver, vehicle, and environment. Out of 141,000 large truck accidents, drivers were responsible for 68,000 of them. The reasons why can be broken down into four categories:
- Decision. When a driver’s decision is what causes the crash, they could have been speeding, following other vehicles too closely, or didn’t signal that they were turning or exiting a lane.
- Recognition. If a driver is distracted and not paying attention to the road, then this is a recognition error. Distractions can be both in and out of the trucker’s cab.
- Performance. If a driver wasn’t experienced enough, they could have made a mistake while behind the wheel. They may not know how to properly drive a semitruck of considerable size and weight.
- Non-Performance. These reasons mean the driver was physically impaired and crashed because they couldn’t stay in control of the truck. This could be from driver fatigue—truckers may have days of driving. If they’re exhausted, they could fall asleep while operating the rig. Other issues can occur like health events, like a heart attack or seizure.
When there’s an issue with the truck, then the trucking company or part manufacturing company could have been at fault. Vehicle-related accidents accounted for 8,000 crashes. If a trucking company is negligent, they may have:
- Improperly Loaded Cargo. Trucks have weight limits. If they overloaded the truck, then it could be too much for the axles, which could lead to a collision.
- Failed to Secure Truck. If the cargo isn’t secure or the trailer doors aren’t shut properly, then cargo could hit the sides of the trailer and make it swing out of its lane, or the cargo could spill out of the doors.
- Didn’t Maintain the 18 Wheeler. A trucking company needs to make sure that the vehicle’s brakes, steering, safety features, and everything else is in working order. If they do not maintain the vehicle, then they could be responsible for an accident.
- Hired an Unqualified Driver. Some trucking companies may hire drivers who don’t have the qualifications to safely operate a big rig.
If a manufacturing company was at fault, they may have sold an auto part that malfunctioned while the trucker was driving. No matter who was responsible for your accident, your truck accident lawyer will stand up to them and demand you get compensation for what their negligence caused.
How Do You Recover from Commercial Truck Accident Injuries?
The injuries that occur after a truck accident may have a long recovery time due to their severe nature. Other injuries could have permanent consequences. The size and weight of an 18 wheeler is much more than a regular-sized vehicle. Occupants in the other vehicle could sustain injuries that cost a lot to treat and it could be months before they heal. Some of the injuries can include:
- Internal Organ Damage
- Loss of Limb
- Burn Injuries
- Brain Injuries
To recover, you’ll need medical care and time. Costs of care could include medicine, doctor’s visits, surgeries, physical therapy, and use of medical equipment. Your medical records will indicate how serious your injuries are and your lawyer will be able to calculate what your treatment will cost.
When you’re recovering from serious injuries, you will likely not be able to work. You need time to heal. A truck accident lawyer will look into how much work you’ve missed and will continue to miss. If you cannot return to work, we’ll also calculate what earnings you’ve lost because of your injuries.
Your emotional injuries may take a major toll on your life as well. Pain and suffering, emotional anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life from living with debilitating injuries are all damages that your lawyer will fight for you to recover.
When you have the financial security you deserve from full and fair compensation, you can go through your recovery process fully focused on healing. Your truck accident lawyer will do everything possible to give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Legal Options for Truck Accident Victims in Tucson
After a truck accident occurs, a number of parties can be involved in the claim. The trucking company may have representation of their own and insurance companies may start to contact you to get you to settle your claim. Without a lawyer representing you and your best interests, they will likely try to pressure you to settle for an unfavorable amount that will not fully cover your injuries and damages.
It’s important to have a Tucson, AZ truck accident lawyer on your side as quickly as possible. We’ll start looking into what the accident has cost you and who bears responsibility for the crash. When it comes to communicating with the other parties involved, we can take care of that for you so you don’t have to worry about accidentally providing information that could be used against you.
If we’re seeking justice for you through negotiating a fair settlement or we’re representing you in a court of law, our experienced truck accident lawyers will fight for your future. You can depend on us to go through the legal process at your side and be there every step of the way.
We’re Here to Fight for What’s Right
18 wheeler collision can cause devastating injuries, but we can help. When a Tucson, AZ truck accident lawyer from Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm is on your side, you can rest assured that we’ll build a strong case on your behalf and maximize the compensation that you’re owed.
We have experience in representing clients who have been injured in truck accidents and we understand how these collisions have long-lasting effects. We’ll use the case evidence to find the full extent of your injuries and damages and fight for you to make a full financial recovery so you can work on your physical and emotional recovery.
The first step to seeking justice is reaching out to our law firm for a free case evaluation. This is where we can determine if you’re eligible to come forward, what kinds of damages you could be owed, and getting started on your claim. Our lawyers will file everything correctly and on time. We know how the paperwork and other proceedings can be overwhelming to some. We’re well-versed in the process and will help you throughout the legal process.
Our goal is to get you the results you deserve because you suffered injuries that should have been prevented. We will work diligently so you can get justice.