While we may try and do everything we can to protect our parents or other elderly family members, sometimes we need help taking care of them and do the things they cannot do themselves or struggle to do safely. In these instances, we may make the choice to place a loved one in a nursing home or long-term care facility. These institutions are required by law to protect residents and keep them safe from harm to the best of their abilities.
While staff are expected to provide your loved one with the care they need, sometimes staff members can be negligent and cause you or your elderly loved one harm. Our Tempe, AZ nursing home abuse lawyer is here to stand up for your injured family member and ensure their rights are protected.
Nobody deserves to be mistreated, and especially not the elderly. That’s why Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm is dedicated to representing the victims of nursing home abuse.
Different Types of Abuse Nursing Home Residents Endure
Many nursing homes provide exceptional care to the people who live there. They ensure their residents are clean, well-fed, safe, and get all the medical care they need every day. However, not every facility or staff member acts the same way. Unfortunately, there are nursing care homes that abuse and neglect their patients, or individual staff members who are negligent or malicious in their care.
Here are the different types of abuse that could occur at a long-term care facility in Tempe, AZ:
- Physical. Staff and other workers at the facility could use force to physically injure their residents. Pushing, hitting, scratching, and any other kind of physical harm are considered physical abuse to elderly residents. Physical and chemical restraints could also fall under this type of abuse.
- Emotional. Emotional abuse can be just as harmful to a nursing home resident as physical abuse because it isolates the elderly and can severely affect their mental state. Emotional abuse includes yelling at, belittling, tormenting, and cursing at residents.
- Financial. Financial exploitation can also happen, which is a form of abuse. Staff or other residents in the facility could steal valuables and money from your loved one’s room, or they could manipulate your loved one into making them the head of their finances.
- Sexual. Your elderly family members could also be sexually abused in their facilities. Any unwanted sexual advances or conduct are considered sexual abuse. If your loved one is mentally incapacitated, this kind of abuse could be even more serious.
- Neglect. Sometimes staff are overworked and understaffed, which stretches them thin. Staff members could unintentionally neglect your loved one because they are expected to do too much in one shift. However, neglect could also be intentional if a staff member is punishing your loved one through ignoring them and their needs.
All of these types of abuse could have serious consequences for your loved one. They could greatly affect their physical, mental, emotional, and financial health. That’s why you need to have our Tempe, AZ nursing home abuse attorney on your side—we’ll fight to hold the responsible party accountable for this abuse so you can focus on your family member’s healing.
Ratings of Nursing Homes in the Tempe Area
When your family makes the collective decision that your loved one should be a resident in a long-term care facility, you likely did plenty of research into which facility would be the best for them. No matter how much rigorous searching, visiting, and interviewing you did to find the right facility that will provide them with the highest level of treatment, you still can’t for sure say they won’t abuse your loved one in any way.
All it takes is one negligent staff member, fellow resident, visitor, or third party to cause your loved one harm, no matter how great the facility is. But knowing the ratings of nursing homes in your area can be extremely helpful in avoiding mistreatment as much as possible.
Medicare’s site has a tool here that compares nursing homes in the area. According to this tool, there are 21 nursing homes in the 10-mile radius of the Tempe, AZ area. Here are the ratings for those homes:
- 4 much above average
- 4 above average
- 4 average
- 5 below average
- 4 much below average
- 3 cited for potential abuse issues
These ratings are based on three factors, including health inspections, staffing, and quality of care. Nursing homes that have been cited for potential abuse issues have an icon next to their name. This doesn’t mean others haven’t had abuse occur at their facilities, though, they just haven’t been cited.
Of course, there’s only so much you can do to ensure your loved one is in a safe nursing home. Even when you’ve done your due diligence, they could still harm your family member. Our Tempe, AZ nursing home abuse lawyer is here to support your family and elderly loved one through this difficult time and ensure you get the justice your family deserves.
Signs Your Loved One is Being Abused in their Nursing Facility
Knowing the signs of abuse is important because then you can quickly identify that your loved one is suffering mistreatment in their long-term care facility. When you can identify signs of nursing home abuse, you can quickly report the abuse or neglect, and know that you need to remove your elderly loved one from the facility they’re currently in.
Here are some of the most telling signs that your family member is experiencing abuse in their nursing home:
- Unexplained injuries
- Unexplained weight loss
- Unclean room, bedding, or clothes
- More withdrawn behavior
- Anxiety or depression
- Missing valuables
- Missing funds
- Sudden change in will or accounts
- Hovering nurses
- Unexplained STDs
These are just some of the most common signs that you could notice when visiting or talking to your loved one. This is why it’s important to frequently visit so that you can see how your family member is being treated in their home. Our Tempe, AZ nursing home abuse attorney is here to help you stand up for your loved one’s rights.
You Can Feel Safe with Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm on Your Side
When your loved one has been abused or neglected, you could use the help of our Tempe, AZ nursing home abuse lawyer to support you through the legal process. At Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm, we understand how vulnerable your loved one might feel after this, which is why we’ll ensure they’re comfortable through every step.
Reach out to our office today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your potential claim.