Have you ever walked into a store and slipped when there wasn’t a wet floor sign? Were you harmed because you fell after your foot was caught in an uneven or cracked sidewalk? These unexpected accidents may take a few moments, but the injuries and damages they cause can affect you for much longer. In these situations, you may have been a victim because the person who owns the property should have prevented this hazard from remaining on the property. You can take legal action with representation from an experienced San Antonio, TX premises liability lawyer from Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm.
We understand the shock and the pain that can follow these incidents. You’re focused on what you’re doing on the premises, whether it’s a store, apartment complex, restaurant, and before you know it, you’ve been hurt and need help. Our lawyers in Texas will be at your side throughout the legal process to represent your rights to full and fair compensation.
Our Lawyers Have Experience With Premises Liability Cases
Many hazardous conditions can exist on a property. The owner should take measures to keep the area safe, find possible hazards and fix them, or to block off the dangers from others. When they don’t do this, others on the property can get hurt. A San Antonio, TX premises liability lawyer can hold them accountable and help you get justice.
We’re familiar with the many ways that you may sustain injuries when there are hazards on a property. We’ll investigate the area where your accident occurred to find out what hurt you. The danger that harmed you may be one of the common causes of premises liability accidents:
- Slip and Fall Hazards. When spills are left on the ground or carpets aren’t anchored properly, people can slip and fall.
- Faulty Wiring. If a building has faulty or exposed wiring, someone can be hurt if they come into contact with it.
- Elevator/Escalator Accidents. While these devices make movement through a building a faster process, they need consistent maintenance. If they’re unsafe or don’t have signs or ways of blocking them from use so people don’t get hurt, then accidents can occur.
- Unstable Staircases/Railings. Old staircases and railings may not be safe to use. If this is the case, those on the property should have adequate warning about them.
- Poor Lighting. When there’s inadequate lighting and people cannot see where they’re heading, they could walk into a hazard.
- Swimming Pool Accidents. If a swimming pool isn’t fenced off, it could be a drowning hazard.
- Negligent Security. A premises that lacks security may be held responsible if someone is attacked on the property.
- Dog Bites. Owners are responsible for staying in control of their dog. If they aren’t careful and the dog gets loose and hurts someone, they could be liable for someone’s injuries.
If the instances above don’t sound familiar, don’t worry. It’s still possible for you to have grounds for a claim in Texas. Our premises liability attorneys will review what happened and find out who is responsible for your injuries.
Hazards on Properties Can Cause Serious Injuries
Premises liability accidents may result in debilitating injuries. These will likely require medical care and time to recover. If the injuries are severe, they may have lasting consequences that will affect how you live your life. If you’ve suffered any of the following injuries, a San Antonio, TX premises liability lawyer can help determine the costs and fight for you to recover compensation:
- Brain Injuries. Falls and swimming accidents can cause brain trauma. When the brain suffers an impact or doesn’t get enough oxygen, it can affect function in the future.
- Broken Bones. If you’re recovering from broken bones, you may completely heal, but you may be inhibited in what you can do during that time. This can keep you away from work for weeks or months.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. A fall or other traumatic injury can also harm the spinal column, which could cause loss of function and feeling below the injury site.
- Sprain/Strain Injuries. A soft tissue injury could occur in a premises liability accident. You may not realize you have these injuries until symptoms show hours or days later.
- Burns/Electrocution Injuries. If faulty wiring or another electrical hazard is on the property, they could cause fires or electrocution accidents. Someone could sustain severe burn injuries.
- Assault. In the case of negligent security, injuries from an assault could happen. These could be potentially fatal.
When these injuries happen, you may not know what to do next. You deserve to have peace of mind when you’re physically healing from injuries that weren’t your fault. The attorneys at our law firm will do everything we can to provide you with that peace.
A San Antonio, TX Premises Liability Lawyer Will Protect Your Rights
When you’re seeking justice because a negligent property owner failed to maintain safe conditions or warn you of possible hazards, a San Antonio, TX premises liability lawyer will fight for you. During our investigation, we’ll gather evidence to show that you have a valid premises liability claim and deserve compensation for your injuries and losses.
While there are similarities between negligence claims and premises liability claims, the Texas Supreme Court stated there are some differences between the two. For a negligence claim, ordinary principles apply when negligent activity on the property caused the injury. A premises liability claim occurs when the condition of the property causes the injury, opposed to an activity. We’ll take photographs, review reports, and examine the severity of your injuries so we can build a strong case on your behalf.
As we calculate your losses, we’ll consider the following types that you can recover:
- Economic Losses. Your financial losses include the costs of your medical care you’ve received and the care you’ll need to have in the future. Lost wages from missed work and the work you’ll have to miss will also be a factor. If you’re unable to return to your job and diminished earning capacity applies to your situation, we’ll also seek compensation to cover those costs as well.
- Noneconomic Losses. These losses refer to the pain and suffering and emotional anguish you’ve endured because of the accident and injuries. Loss of enjoyment of life may apply to your case if your injuries are preventing you from participating in activities or events that you did before the accident.
- Punitive Damages. In cases of gross negligence, you may be able to recover punitive damages. These are solely to punish the negligent party. If they acted willfully and you were harmed, then your lawyer may seek punitive damages in your case.
During your case, the property owner may claim that you had something to do with the accident and the severity of your injuries. This could reduce the compensation you’re able to recover. While it may be intimidating to have the other party claim that you were somehow at fault, our lawyers will stand up for you.
We’ll assess if the property owner took measures to prevent you from encountering the hazard or if they had knowledge of the hazard beforehand and didn’t take care of it in a reasonable amount of time. We’ll show that you were a victim in this situation and deserve compensation to help you heal physically, emotionally, and financially.
Reach Out to Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm for Legal Options
We know how traumatizing it can be to sustain injuries after an accident. This could have been prevented if the property owner had taken care to keep the premises safe. When you’re dealing with injuries and medical bills, you deserve to have help you can trust to protect your rights and best interests. That’s where we can help.
You can learn more about the options available to you and how our law firm can help. Call us today for a free case evaluation. Our attorneys will review your case and how you can proceed. The sooner you call, the sooner a San Antonio, TX premises liability lawyer from Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm can get started fighting for you. We can help you move forward.