As a growing city, Mission is expanding quickly. While that usually means good things for the economy and culture of a city because of its diversity, that added population can also mean more accidents because there are more people who can be harmed. When those accidents are caused by someone else’s negligence and you’re left with injuries and other damages, you could use help from one of our Mission, TX personal injury lawyers.
At Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm, we have experience representing the victims of all kinds of accidents. You deserve help and guidance through the legal process, which is why we’re here to support you every step of the way in your personal injury claim. We’ll look into what happened to cause your incident, who was at fault for your injuries, and how much you can recover in compensation for your damages. With our support, you can have peace of mind knowing you won’t settle for less than you deserve.
Cases Our Lawyers Handle in Mission, TX
When you trust one of our personal injury attorneys with your claim, Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm will work hard to get you the justice you deserve. You might be wondering what kinds of cases we handle and if yours is eligible for our help. We handle most cases, including:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Premises Liability
- Nursing Home Abuse
You might feel discouraged to reach out if what happened to you isn’t on this list, but you shouldn’t be. These aren’t the only practice areas we handle, which means we still might be able to help you. By talking with a Mission, TX personal injury lawyer from our firm, you can get your questions answered and know whether or not we can offer you the legal representation you need.
Texas Laws and Proving Negligence
A personal injury claim relies heavily on proving negligence. In fact, if your lawyer can’t prove that the other party was negligent and that you did not contribute to the accident, then you likely don’t have a case, or you won’t be able to recover any compensation for what happened to you because the most crucial element of your claim is missing.
When it comes to negligence, there are specific aspects of your situation that your attorney will need to prove so that you have a firm case. The four elements of negligence are what they’ll work to show that an instance of personal injury happened, and the other party was responsible. These elements of negligence are:
- A duty of care existed between the victim and the other party.
- The other party breached the duty of care through an act of negligence.
- That breach of care caused the victim to suffer from injuries.
- Those injuries caused the victim other damages.
When the other party was fully responsible for what happened to you, you likely don’t have to worry about being eligible for a full financial recovery. But what about if you were partially responsible for the accident or situation that led to your injury? This could make your case more complicated.
You might think that sharing some of the blame completely cuts you off from being able to recover financial compensation for your damages, but that’s not necessarily true. Texas Code follows comparative negligence in personal injury claims, more specifically known as proportionate responsibility.
This means that if you were less than 50 percent responsible for what happened, then you can still recover compensation for the damages you incurred. However, your compensation will be reduced by the percentage that you were determined to be at fault. If you were over half at fault, though, you will not be able to recover compensation for your claim.
This can all seem complicated. That’s why you could use the help of a Mission, TX personal injury lawyer. They’ll be able to guide you through the process and explain each part to you.
Personal Injury Claims Process
Going through a personal injury claim can seem like a large undertaking, and if it’s your first time, you likely have no idea what to expect. While your attorneys can’t promise a specific timeline or give you a specific number of what you’ll be able to recover financially, they can tell you the process that you’ll be going through and what each step entails.
Here is the general process for a personal injury claim:
- Pre-trial. This is when you’ll meet with your lawyer for the first time to show them your evidence and all documentation you have of the accident, your injuries, and any subsequent damages you suffered. They’ll use this information to decide if they want to take your case, and from there, they’ll help you file a claim against the other party.
- Discovery. In the discovery portion of your case, your attorney and the legal representation of the other party will request documents from each other in order to build each side’s case. This part of your claim could take months, or even a year or more. This might seem like a long time, but it will be full of work by your lawyer to get evidence, witness statements, and other documents to prove your claim.
- Negotiation. Once both sides have built their cases, they will go into the negotiation process in an attempt to reach a settlement. Ideally, negotiations won’t take long, and both sides will be able to reach a fair settlement. If not, this stage could drag out.
- Settlement. In an ideal case, and in most personal injury claims, you will reach a settlement where both parties agree. The other party will likely push for you to settle for less than you deserve, but an experienced personal injury lawyer won’t let that happen. If a settlement isn’t reached, you’ll proceed to the next step.
- Trial. When a case goes to trial, it is bound to take even longer to reach a resolution. You also will go in front of a judge, and potentially even a jury, to decide the outcome of your case. Your lawyer is prepared to go to trial for you to get justice in your personal injury claim.
At Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm, we know how long and complicated the personal injury claims process can be. That’s why our attorneys are here to support you through it and ensure you get the outcome you deserve.
Proud to Serve the Residents of Mission, TX
Just like nearby McAllen, our city of Mission is experiencing an economic boom full of growth and diversity. As the Home of the Grapefruit, our main agricultural undertaking is growing grapefruit and other citrus. We’re also home to the Texas Citrus Exchange, where we hold the Texas Citrus Fiesta Parade full of citrus, flowers, floats, pageants, cook-offs, and community.
One of the newest international bridges across the Rio Grande arrives right in Mission, TX, which adds more industry and tourism to our city. The bridge makes international trade easier, which is partly what has caused our city’s boom—we now have a direct link to Mexico for companies to import and export goods.
On top of it all, Mission is a beautiful city. Tourists and residents enjoy Mission because it’s warm year-round and has the feeling of a historic city. Some of our residents are only in town for the winter, also known as Winter Texans, and enjoy our southern Texas environment just for the winter while the northern parts of the country suffer through the cold.
Whether you’re in Mission as a visitor or as a permanent resident, you deserve justice when someone else’s negligence causes you harm. That’s why our Mission, TX personal injury lawyers are here to help you. We’ll handle your case so that you can focus on getting back to your normal life.
Trust Buckingham Barrera Vega with Your Case
You shouldn’t have to go through a personal injury claim on your own. Cases can often get complicated, and they might take longer than you expect to settle. Our Mission, TX personal injury attorneys from Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm are prepared to guide you through every step of the claims process and ensure you get the outcome you deserve. Reach out to us today so that we can get started on your claim right away.