When a medical professional treating you makes a mistake, you may have more injuries to treat or an illness could have progressed when you could have caught it earlier. Sometimes, their error can leave you with debilitating injuries, permanent disabilities, and piles of medical bills. You can hold negligent care providers accountable for the harm they’ve caused you, but these types of cases can be difficult to prove. When you’re taking legal measures to get justice, a Mesa, AZ medical malpractice lawyer can represent you.
Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm protects victims of medical negligence in Arizona. We have years of experience helping those who were injured with their legal case. When we’re on your side, we’ll fight for your best interests and will seek the outcome you deserve.
While it can be shocking to learn that your medical provider hurt you instead of helping you, these incidents do happen. According to a Johns Hopkins study, they found that medical errors lead to more than 250,000 deaths in the U.S. per year. When medical professionals have your care in their hands and they make a careless mistake that shouldn’t have happened, our personal injury law firm can guide you through the legal process and fight for your financial security.
Medical Errors Put Patients’ Health at Risk
A medical provider’s negligence can result in irreparable harm. Your Mesa, AZ medical malpractice lawyer will look at your case to find out where the error occurred. Some common forms of negligence include:
- Failure to Diagnose/Misdiagnosis. When you’re exhibiting symptoms or have tests that show signs of a certain condition, your doctor may not recognize these symptoms or think they’re indicating another health problem. This can prolong treating your condition and you may start treatment for a condition you don’t have.
- Surgical Error. These errors can occur during the procedure and during pre-op and post-op. Mistakes that occur during the procedure can include wrong-site surgery, the patient undergoes the wrong procedure, tools are left inside the surgical site, or the surgeon performs an unnecessary procedure. Patients also need instruction and care before and after the surgery to make sure they’re okay. If they don’t receive this care, they could have issues like infection or other side effects.
- Medication Error. You may need medication as part of your treatment. If the person administering the medication is negligent, they may give you the wrong medication, incorrect dosage, or poor record keeping could result in a missed dose or double dose.
- Defective Medical Devices. If a medical device fails to work, you could be injured or your life could be put in danger. In this case, the manufacturing company that made the device may be held liable for your injuries.
- Birth Injuries. When a medical error occurs during delivery, the baby can sustain injuries that could cause some complications but will eventually heal, or cause permanent complications. Our lawyers will fight for you and your child to get justice.
Once we know what happened to cause your injuries, then we can turn to who caused them. Your health care can range from a simple visit to the doctor, picking up medication from a pharmacist, or you may have been in the hospital. Let’s take a look at who can make these mistakes and who might have been responsible for your injuries.
Who Can Commit Medical Malpractice?
If you were in the hospital, your care may have been in the hands of many. There’s the hospital, which is in charge of maintaining your information and records, teams of nurses and doctors who may administer medication, tests, or are responsible for diagnosing your condition, surgeons who will be in charge of leading a procedure, and other examples that exist outside of a hospital.
A pharmacist may have given you the wrong medication, or a doctor may have not recommended you see a specialist when the level of care you needed was beyond their expertise.
When one of these parties act negligently, whether that’s failing to take note of an important detail like an allergy, forgetting to administer medication, or misses the signs of your ailment, your health can suffer and decline. The recovery from your original health issue in addition to the new one can extend the time and the amount of treatment you’ll need. While you’re going through this and seeking legal recourse, our medical malpractice lawyers in Mesa will be at your side to protect your rights.
A Mesa, AZ Medical Malpractice Lawyer Can Fight for You
When we’re investigating your case, we’ll examine who was taking care of you, how they harmed you, and who is held liable. This situation can be difficult because sometimes doctors or surgeons may be working in a hospital, but they aren’t considered employees. Figuring out who was ultimately responsible for your injuries takes careful research and may involve analyzing contracts. Our lawyers have experience in sorting these details and hold the right party accountable.
Your med mal lawyer will also seek the full extent of your damages so you can recover with peace of mind. You shouldn’t have to worry about how you’re going to afford medical care and continue to pay other bills if you aren’t able to work. With our attorneys on your side, you can rest assured that we will fight for you to recover for all the damages your injuries and losses have caused and how they will continue to affect you.
The damages from the medical error can result in:
- Medical Expenses (past and future)
- Lost Wages
- Diminished Earning Capacity or Loss of Earnings
- Pain and Suffering
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Mental Anguish
- Loss of Consortium (for wrongful death cases)
We’ll calculate the costs of the damages above and diligently fight for your compensation to cover them.
There’s a chance that your case will need to proceed to court. When the outcome of your case is in the hands of a jury, we understand how it can be nerve-wracking. Our Arizona trial lawyers are used to being in the courtroom and will do everything we can to prepare your case and you for your day in court.
When we’re compiling the evidence for your case, we’ll also get an expert witness to help prove that you were a victim of medical negligence. An expert witness can determine if the care you received met the standard of care, or how a competent medical professional should have treated you. They can identify how your care went wrong and how it led to your serious injuries.
With so many components going into your case, we know how you can feel overwhelmed. That’s why we’re here. Our attorneys will go through the evidence, paperwork, and make sure your claim is filed correctly, on time, and we can explain what steps you can expect next. We will go through this process with you.
Get the Representation You Deserve
Did you or a loved one suffer a serious injury or illness because of a medical provider’s negligence? A Mesa, AZ medical malpractice lawyer will fight for your rights. We understand how uncertain this time can be. While you’re coming to terms with what’s happened, you’re also dealing with injuries, bills, and you’re looking at what it’s going to take for you to recover. Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm will handle your legal case so you can work on your recovery and spending time with your family.
You can reach out to us for a free case evaluation. We’re prepared to answer your questions and discuss your legal options. We can start the process to building a strong case on your behalf so we can help you move forward.