In New Mexico, the warm weather and sunny days might influence you to buy a motorcycle so that you can ride through the open air. When you choose to ride a motorbike on the road, you’ll feel free and refreshed because you aren’t surrounded by enclosures like in a regular vehicle. However, that freedom could lead to more severe injuries in the event of an accident.
While you don’t want to think about the negatives that could happen while riding your motorcycle, you could realistically suffer catastrophic injuries if you get into a collision with an object or another vehicle. If you’ve been in a motorcycle wreck and suffered injuries and damages, you could use the help of a Las Cruces, NM motorcycle accident lawyer. At Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm, our experienced attorneys are dedicated to fighting for your rights and getting you the compensation you deserve for your damages.
New Mexico Motorcycle Laws
Before you get onto a motorcycle, you should know all of the laws in place for riding one so that you can be sure you’re following all of the rules. These laws are in place to keep you as safe as possible, which should be one of your biggest concerns while riding a motorbike since you’re more exposed to the elements while riding.
Additionally, following New Mexico motorcycle laws while you’re riding can help you down the road if you get into an accident. If you can show that you were following all of the rules of the road as well as motorcycle laws, you can more easily prove that you weren’t at fault for your crash. That can help you recover the compensation that you’re owed.
Here are some of the most important laws that you need to follow when you’re riding a motorcycle in Las Cruces, NM:
- Helmets. All riders under the age of 18 must wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. The helmet must follow the safety guidelines of U.S. Department of Transportation to ensure that it is as safe as possible. If a driver or passenger under 18 is not wearing a helmet when they get into an accident, it would be considered contributory negligence.
- Eyewear. If the motorcycle does not have a windshield, riders must wear protective eyewear to keep anything out of their eyes while riding through the open air. This could be goggles, glasses, or a protective shield attached to a helmet.
- Lane Splitting. Lane splitting is when motorcyclists weave in between traffic that is moving slowly or at a standstill. In New Mexico, this practice is illegal.
- Passengers. As mentioned above, passengers under must wear a helmet. They also must have their own fixed seat and footrests on the bike. Otherwise, they are not permitted to ride on the motorcycle because it is only designed for one passenger.
- Headlights. Motorcycles must have at least one headlamp but cannot have more than two.
There are many more laws that apply to motorcyclists in New Mexico, but these are the most important ones that you should know before you hop on your bike. Breaking any of these laws on your motorcycle could make you partially liable for any accident that you get into.
When you were following the laws and still get into a wreck, though, you could use the help of a Las Cruces, NM motorcycle accident attorney to help you hold the other party accountable for what they’ve done. Our lawyers are prepared to help you recover from your crash.
Causes of Motorcycle Wrecks
Even if you follow all of the rules of the road, you could still get into a motorcycle crash because of someone else’s negligence. When you get into a wreck that was caused by someone else, your motorcycle accident lawyer will look into the cause so that they can prove you weren’t at fault.
There are some more common causes of motorcycle accidents that attorneys see, they are:
- Speeding. When other drivers or motorcyclists speed, they can lose control of their vehicle or bike. When this happens, they can cause a crash that can be very dangerous for anyone else on the road. These kinds of accidents are even more dangerous because the high speeds can cause catastrophic injuries, or even worse.
- Blind Spots. Many drivers of regular vehicles aren’t looking at their blind spots for motorcycles—they’re typically looking out for cars that are closer to their size. Motorcycles are smaller and harder to spot, and drivers might overlook them in their mirrors or blind spots. That can lead to collisions between the two.
- Left Turns. This is one of the most common causes of accidents. When motorcyclists are making a left turn, regular drivers might not see them turning and drive through the intersection right into them. In the reverse situation, regular vehicles that are turning left might not notice a motorcycle coming through an intersection and crash into them.
- Distracted Driving. When drivers are paying attention to something other than the road, like their phone, the radio, or a snack, they could lose control of the vehicle and crash into a motorcyclist. A motorcyclist can also get distracted and lead to an accident.
- Driving Under the Influence. Drunk driving is always dangerous. Whether a driver is just buzzed or legally intoxicated, they have slower reaction times and poor motor skills, which leads to serious and deadly collisions.
If you’ve been in any of these situations and gotten into a crash and suffered injuries, you could benefit from hiring a Las Cruces, NM motorcycle accident lawyer. They’ll be able to identify exactly what happened, prove the other party was at fault, and calculate exactly what you’re owed in compensation for your damages.
We’re Proud to Serve the People of Las Cruces
You deserve to have experienced representation when you’re filing a claim against a negligent party who caused your motorcycle wreck. That’s where Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm comes in. We’ve handled plenty of cases for motorcyclists when they’ve gotten into a crash and suffered injuries. Our Las Cruces, NM motorcycle accident attorney is here to support you through your claim and protect your rights. Contact our office today so we can discuss your legal options during a free consultation.