With so many people in Fort Worth, it makes sense that there are so many drivers on the road as well. While traffic doesn’t always mean that there are collisions happening, there’s still the possibility of getting into an accident at any point when you get behind the wheel. No matter how careful you’ve been while driving, you could use the help of our Fort Worth, TX car accident lawyer after getting into a crash.
Your injuries and damages from your collision shouldn’t be your responsibility when someone else’s negligence was the cause. At Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm, we have experience representing the victims of mild and severe crashes. That’s why you can trust us to recover full and fair compensation for everything you’ve been through.
Causes of Car Wrecks in Fort Worth
The growing population in the Fort Worth area leads to more drivers on the road. This causes more traffic, more traffic jams, and subsequently more wrecks in the city and surrounding areas. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, Fort Worth had over 16,000 crashes in 2016. From those accidents, there were nearly 6,000 injuries and nearly 100 deaths.
With all of those numbers in mind, it’s important to know what causes auto wrecks so that you and other drivers have a better chance at avoiding them. If you’ve already been in a crash, though, knowing the common causes of accidents can help you determine what caused yours and whether or not you have a claim.
Here are the most common causes of car crashes in Fort Worth:
- Distracted Drivers. When drivers don’t pay attention to the road, those distractions can lead to them losing control or veering into another lane. Looking at their cell phones, playing with the radio, eating, and other distractions are common behind the wheel even though they shouldn’t be.
- Drunk Drivers. Even though it’s illegal, people still decide to get behind the wheel after drinking. This can lead to serious collisions that injure and kill other drivers, pedestrians, and many other types of victims. These accidents cause severe damage.
- Speeding. Driving above the speed limit gives you less control over your vehicle. When going around curves or even driving on straight lanes, going faster than the speed limit can alarm other drivers or cause you to lose control and create an accident.
- Bad Weather. Even though we don’t get much snow, when we do, it can easily cause wrecks because drivers aren’t prepared to drive in cold weather. Other conditions like ice, high winds, and severe storms can also keep drivers from being as safe on the road or could cause them to lose control.
- Bad Roads. When roads have potholes or other objects in them, this can also cause accidents. Drivers expect roads to be as safe as possible, so when they’re not, they can cause serious problems.
- Animal Accidents. Animals can also lead to accidents on the roads. Deer and cows are the most common animals to cause serious wrecks in Fort Worth, but smaller animals in Texas like armadillos can also affect drivers and lead to a crash.
Your lawyer will use the cause of your accident to determine who was at fault for what happened. From there, they can prove negligence, which is essential to your claim. Our Fort Worth, TX car accident attorney is here for you so that you get justice for the damages the other party caused you.
Injuries You Might Have Suffered from Your Car Crash
Once negligence is proven, your lawyer can move on to gathering evidence of the injuries and subsequent damages that you suffered as a result. While some car accidents are more severe than others, there are a range of injuries that you could incur no matter how fast or slow the vehicles were moving at the time of the collision.
For example, even accidents that happen at speeds below 30 miles per hour can cause harm to drivers and passengers. Additionally, emotional injuries could be sustained. Here are some of the most common injuries that drivers and passengers suffer as a result of an auto wreck:
- Soft Tissue Injuries (like whiplash)
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Neck and Back Injuries
- Internal Organ Damage and Bleeding
- Pain and Suffering
- Emotional Turmoil
Some of these injuries are less severe and can heal within weeks or months of the collision. More severe injuries could take upwards of a year or more to fully heal if they ever do. Depending on how serious your injuries were from the crash, you could be suffering from temporary or permanent disabilities and your way of life could change.
Having an experienced Fort Worth, TX car accident lawyer from our firm on your side can help you recover what you deserve for your injuries and all the effects they have on your life. You shouldn’t have to go through all this alone. That’s why we’re here to fight for you to get the compensation you’re owed.
What to Do After a Car Accident
Immediately after a collision, you might not know what to do. If you’re hurt and in shock, it can be difficult to make decisions and act quickly, but that’s essential after a car accident. Knowing what to do is essential to ensure that everyone gets the medical treatment they need and other emergency services come to the scene so that a report is filed and everyone is safe.
After getting as out of the way as possible if you can, the first thing you should do is call emergency services. 911 will ask you questions and dispatch the police and an ambulance. If it’s bad enough, the fire department might come to the scene as well.
While you wait for them to show up, you should evaluate yourself for injuries and determine if you’re in pain. Even if you’re not, you should be careful because adrenaline could be masking any pain you would feel. When medical professionals show up, you should tell them any pain you feel. You’ll also want to speak to the police when they arrive and give a factual statement to them.
While remaining as neutral as possible, you should speak with the other parties involved and exchange contact and insurance information. At this time, you shouldn’t apologize for anything that happened and you shouldn’t accuse anyone of causing the collision because both could be used against you later.
From there, you’ll want to take as many pictures of the scene as possible. Photographs of the damages to your car, any injuries, any obstacles that may have caused your accident, and any other road conditions that led to the wreck. Speaking to potential witnesses and getting their contact information can help you later.
Even if you don’t think you’re injured, your next step should be seeking medical attention. The sooner you are evaluated, the sooner you can start treatment. This also ensures there is a record of your injuries later if you need to file a legal claim.
Finally, you’ll need to hire a lawyer. You might not be sure where to go from here, but that’s why having a Fort Worth car accident lawyer on your side is vital. They’ll know how to build your case and get you justice for what you’ve endured.
Buckingham Barrera Vega Law Firm Will Represent You
Our attorneys are dedicated to getting our clients full and fair compensation when they’ve suffered damages from a car crash. Our Fort Worth, TX car accident lawyer is here to represent you through the entire claim. We’ll answer all of your questions and guide you through every step. Reach out to our office today so that we can start with your free consultation.